Translate

Monday, February 29, 2016

Raleigh to Indianapolis


RALEIGH

JUNE 30

A day off, and we spent it staying in the hotel. I went to the gym, which was quite small, but made the best use of it I could. Frankie Enfield, our tour manager, told me about a 3.1 mile trail that goes around the circumference of the golf course. He had walked it and recommended it to me. So I had a go of it. Fantastic trail, and was soothing for my mind and soul to be in that nice forest, plus it was good exercise as there were several “ups and downs” to negotiate. After all of that, I went back to our room to freshen up and get ready to meet David Zucchino, a top notch journalist for the LA Times. David was scheduled to come to Charlane Plantation several months ago, but got called away on assignment and couldn’t make it. He lives in the Raleigh area, so we arranged to meet and just have a “getting to know you” chat. He is actually on leave from the Times to write a book about a sad and tragic incident that took place in the area in the post Civil War era in which there was something of a mass murder of some black officials that were holding political office at the time. Sounds like it will make for a very interesting historical account. We had a nice and productive talk, and he expressed interest in getting down to Charlane some time after the first of next year and perhaps do a story on us.
After our meeting I decided to soak up the sun for a while and found a spot outside the indoor pool area on sort of a patio. I stayed out there for an hour or so...very pleasant.
Back in the room we killed time on our computers and watching the news...then made our way downstairs to sort out dinner plans. We stayed in again, but this time we dined in the main restaurant called. Nice and quiet dinner, great food and service. That ended our day and we retired to our room.

JULY 1

I would have lots of guests at the show tonight. Buck Williams, my good friend and negotiator and his daughter, Sarah and her husband Mathias would be there...Tom Burnette, an attorney and a Charlane client with a number of folks with him; some friends from Savannah, Howard Paul and his wife Patty...Paula Fogerty, and various other folks that I had arranged passes for.
But before we would get to that, I went to the tiny gym again and managed at least somewhat of a workout before getting ready to head to Carter-Findley stadium. I wanted to walk the trail again, but there wasn’t quite enough time, plus my right calf was a bit sore and I thought it best to rest it.
At the stadium I finalized the set list, leaving a couple of choices to make when we did the sound check, and found my way to catering for some food. Sound check went fine and we sorted out the set.
The setup was more than a little awkward...our dressing rooms were actually in the arena, about a quarter mile from the stadium. The VIP room was in the stadium, so it was quite a trek to get there. Darryl had some guests coming as well, so he and I arranged for a van and driver to carry us over there. It was another madhouse VIP, with lots of fans requesting selfies and photos, and me trying to spend some time with my friends. In the end, it was impossible to see all of those I had arranged passes for...so Darryl and I did the best we could and escaped back to the van and to our dressing room.
Yet another excellent gig...band remaining at the top of its game and a excited and receptive audience for the night.  

JULY 2  INDIANAPOLIS


Travel to Indianapolis. 
Nap Town. This will
be one

Gasoline Alley
for the books...playing the iconic Indianapolis Speedway...The Brickyard. But a travel day and an off day before the show. The usual routine ensued with our bags being picked up at 11:30 and a 2:30 departure from the hotel for a 4:00 wheels up. I worked on this diary for a while on the plane, and we landed about 5:30. Checked into the Conrad hotel in downtown Indy. Rosie and I had a taste for some Indian food....Indian in Indy...and located a place that was walking distance from the hotel. Had a drink in the bar of the Capitol Grille, which was right next 


















door to the Conrad and then made our way to the Haveli Indian restaurant on South Meridian. Nice walk, and we were checking out the surroundings on the way. It turned out that Haveli was a very casual place...and cheap. The food was good if not great...and we loved getting all those spices on our tongues. I think the whole meal with a couple of glasses of wine cost under $40. Afterwards we walked back to the room and shut down for the night.  
CONRAD BRAIN STIMULATOR

No comments:

Post a Comment